Re: non-standard TCP tunings in EC2 images

Le Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 11:45:27AM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum a écrit :

> I'm not against having a discussion about Debian providing different
> kernel settings profiles for different environments. This is something
> that could probably be useful (those settings can be configured for a
> reason, after all).
> However, I don't think that this is something that should be decided
> silently by the cloud team on its own, but rather discussed with the
> kernel team to find a solution that works for everybody.

Hi Lucas,

I agree in principle, but I would like to underline, from my own experience,
that this goal becomes very frustrating easily.  The one doing the work of
trying to reduce the differences between cloud and "standard" installations
ends up between the hammer and the anvil.  In the end, I felt that on both
sides people behaved as if I was wasting their time.

Not to mention that since Debian is "universal", there is an enormous
resistance to the change of anything that is near the core of the system,
because one can always either find, or just imagine a use case that where the
change would be detrimental.  It is very easy to shoot the messenger, kthxbye.

I would rather propose the reverse approach, that if a change is successful
for cloud images, then it is a good idea to propose to extend it to more
use cases.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy