Re: [vagrant] issues with jessie64

On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 09:51:55AM +0200, Emmanuel Kasper wrote:
> Le 23/04/2016 23:25, Martin Zobel-Helas a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > today i tried a vagrant box from https://atlas.hashicorp.com/debian/.
> >
> > I have several issues with that box:
> >
> > * Why is apt-listchanges installed on that box? That is way away from a
> >   default installation.
> > * Why does it come with a MTA installed? For a vagrant image i would had
> >   expected to ship a minimal installation without a "default" task
> >   installed.
> >
> > For my understanding of a vagrant box to play with, this box comes with
> > way to many software pieces installed by default. I do not understand
> > why it needs things like apt-listchanges, bc, exim, rpcbind, telnet or
> > whois installed in a minimal vagrant jessie image.
> >

> Hi Martin
> Thanks for you interest and suggestions.
>
> The aim of the Vagrant box is not to be a reduced package set for a
> docker-like setup but to produce an experience similar to a standard
> debian environment. This is is why we installed up to now all packages
> of priority "standard"  (and this is why apt -istchanges sneaked in)
>
> You can see the choices of packages currently used here:
> http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/cloud/debian-vm-templates.git/tree/packer-virtualbox-vagrant/http/vanilla-debian-8-jessie-preseed.cfg

The vagrant-lxc images that I build actually only contain the base
system (i.e. basically what `debootstrap --min-base`/lxc-create gives
you by default).

I plan to provide images for the vagrant-libvirt backend as well as soon
as I get vagrant-libvirt into the archive, and they will follow the same
principle.

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org>