Re: Timeline for official Debian cloud images for the Stretch release

On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 01:29:08AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > Your main concern seems to be that you will be forced to conform to an
> > arbitrary rule-set enforced top-down.
>
> My main concern is that what is being done is a strong departure from what I
> felt is a core Debian value: the principle that the one who does should usually
> be the one who decides.

This is not about stopping people from doing what they are already
doing. The end goal is to have the official Debian cloud images built on
Debian infrastructure together with other media that is already being
built (installation and live CDs and DVDs, BD, OpenStack images etc) as
part of the release process.

The people who do the work of building official release images at
release time _is_ the "CD" team, so those who want to have images for
their pet cloud providers built together with the other official images
at release time and distributed through the regular Debian channels will
then have to submit code to the Debian CD team, in a form that they
accept. AIUI the "format that they accept" will still be debated, but
will surely include the concerns from the people who take care of the
Debian trademark.

Those who just want to build images themselves and distribute them at
random places can just continue to do what they are already doing. And
here lies the most difficult issue, which is how exactly those can be
presented as "Debian". Clearly they cannot be called "Official Debian
images", but they probably shouldn't be called "not Debian" either.

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org>