Re: Requirements for official Debian images

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 2:56 PM Emmanuel Kasper <emmanuel@libera.cc> wrote:
On 08/24/2015 02:06 PM, Olivier Berger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Last week at DebConf15, we have discussed with Emmanuel Kasper (glad to
> have finally met, btw :-), the issue of official Debian images.
:)

> I think that Emmanuel has been able to attend the Debian CD BoF (wich I
> couldn't attend), and maybe ask about this to the CD images people.
>
> It seems that complying with licences (like GPL written offer, etc.) and
> providing a pointer to the sources is a basic requirement, but there are
> also issues about the "trade mark" I think (again, I haven't been able
> to attend another talk about what can be called Debian :-/).
>
> Is there any pointer (Debian wiki ?) about a checklist for compliance /
> best practice, for Vagrant base boxes (or other images for the
> cloud/virtualization) ?

Hi Olivier !

I remember a summup from Stefano the former DPL on the wiki but could
not find it again.
Ac
Trying to recover from memory:

To build Official debian images you need:
* software to build the cloud image is in main
* image creation is done by Debian People
* no deviation from a standard debian installation, except when documented

I am trying to follow these guidelines when creating the vagrant base boxes.

* software to build the cloud image is in main => boostrap-vz
* image creation is by Debian People => right now your humble servitor,
in some time the debian-cd team I hope
* no deviation from a standard debian installation, except when documented

Unfortunately vagrant box creation, either with boostrap-vz or packer
requires the non-free virtualbox-guest-additions-iso package so until
this issue is sorted out ( it requires a licence change form the
OpenWatcom C compiler for the VirtualBox Bios, and packaging the
compiler) the best we can do is land up as an Unofficial contrib image.

I was at the debian-cd bof, and they are open for adding new images to
debian-cd, like the openstack one. The only requirements I heard from
them is that it should be scriptable.

Note that I played with the boostrap-vz packaging repo from Marcin
during debconf, and it worked well enough for me to replace using packer
in the future.

Cheers (&Wine) !

Emmanuel

> Note that I played with the boostrap-vz packaging repo from Marcin
during debconf, and it worked well enough for me to replace using packer
in the future.

That's very encouraging news Emmanuel. Please do let me know if there is anything I can be of assistance with. I'm the creator/maintaner of bootstrap-vz and would love to see it become the tool for bootstrapping official Debian images.

Kind regards
Anders Ingemann
--
Anders Ingemann