Re: Requirements for official Debian images

On 08/24/2015 02:06 PM, Olivier Berger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Last week at DebConf15, we have discussed with Emmanuel Kasper (glad to
> have finally met, btw :-), the issue of official Debian images.
:)

> I think that Emmanuel has been able to attend the Debian CD BoF (wich I
> couldn't attend), and maybe ask about this to the CD images people.
>
> It seems that complying with licences (like GPL written offer, etc.) and
> providing a pointer to the sources is a basic requirement, but there are
> also issues about the "trade mark" I think (again, I haven't been able
> to attend another talk about what can be called Debian :-/).
>
> Is there any pointer (Debian wiki ?) about a checklist for compliance /
> best practice, for Vagrant base boxes (or other images for the
> cloud/virtualization) ?

Hi Olivier !

I remember a summup from Stefano the former DPL on the wiki but could
not find it again.
Ac
Trying to recover from memory:

To build Official debian images you need:
* software to build the cloud image is in main
* image creation is done by Debian People
* no deviation from a standard debian installation, except when documented

I am trying to follow these guidelines when creating the vagrant base boxes.

* software to build the cloud image is in main => boostrap-vz
* image creation is by Debian People => right now your humble servitor,
in some time the debian-cd team I hope
* no deviation from a standard debian installation, except when documented

Unfortunately vagrant box creation, either with boostrap-vz or packer
requires the non-free virtualbox-guest-additions-iso package so until
this issue is sorted out ( it requires a licence change form the
OpenWatcom C compiler for the VirtualBox Bios, and packaging the
compiler) the best we can do is land up as an Unofficial contrib image.

I was at the debian-cd bof, and they are open for adding new images to
debian-cd, like the openstack one. The only requirements I heard from
them is that it should be scriptable.

Note that I played with the boostrap-vz packaging repo from Marcin
during debconf, and it worked well enough for me to replace using packer
in the future.

Cheers (&Wine) !

Emmanuel