Re: bootstrap-vz configs for vanilla debian boxes: initial commit

On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 12:15 PM <emmanuel@libera.cc> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I finally got around to push an initial version of bootstrap-vz
>> configs
>> for vanilla debian boxes to be uploaded to hashicorp's atlas.
>>
>> There's no config management software contained - did we come to a
>> conclusion re that subject yet?
>> There were differing POVs if we should include CM software or just
>> tell
>> the user how to install it.
>>
>> To keep the boxes as small as possible and because some CM software
>> might not be DFSG comliant, I vote for the 2nd possibility:
>> Tell the user how to install it, but don't include it.
>>
>> Jan
>
> Sounds great Jan! I'll be expecting a PR with the addition of an
> official vagrant manifest then :-)
>
> Regarding the CM. I think we talked about modifying the bundled
> Vagrantfile to install the desired CM on boot. You could then create a
> few flavors using the exact same box. Or maybe I misunderstood that
> part, but that is what I would find useful I think.

Hi Jan,
Looking forward to git pull. Did you push your work on Alioth ?

It seems most people who wrote on
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=787298, and according
to what I heard on the Vagrant user group, most people prefer a base box
without provisionners.

Actually adding a provisionner to the base box is just a matter of
adding:

  config.vm.provision "shell",
  inline: "sudo apt-⁠get -⁠-⁠yes install cfengine3"

inside the config block of the Vagrantfile

@anders: is the 0.95 release enough to build vagrant boxes ? It would
make sense to use a stable release of bootstrap-vz if possible, so we
could switch to the packaged version of bootstrap-vz in the mid term.
We would then be able to create Vagrant base boxes using only software
available in Debian.

Emmanuel