Should cloud-init be used only for initial setup of the VM, or left active during the VM lifetime ?

Hi List
I am building with the nice folks at Proxmox[1] a virtualization
platform, based on Debian, KVM and LXC, with a rest api and a web front end.

We are considering adding cloud-init support in our API to add an
out-of-VM way of doing the system.
As I don't have preliminary experience with cloud-init, I am not sure
what is the best way to use cloud-init. Is it meant to be always run on
start, overwriting local settings in /etc/network/interface, or only
once during the provisioning the machine ?

It seems if I remove the config drive, the startup process hangs
waiting, so it seems to me cloud-init is meant to be run at each boot,
or am I missing something ?

Thx
Emmanuel

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Main_Page