Re: Nicer looking Debian headline on AWS marketplace

On 2015-05-19 21:25:51, Ognyan Kulev wrote:
> На 19.05.2015 в 18:42, James Bromberger написа:
> >1) The "- (HVM)" was the recommendation from the Marketplace team; I'm
> >actually more in favour of marking the older PVM image as "- (PVM)",
> >with a view that PVM will be gone in some time in the future (64 bit HVM
> >is the future). While HVM may seem new now, I would think we can drop it
> >as it does become default - perhaps for the next point release? Input
> >greatly wanted from all?

+1

snip

> >2) Hm, I'm on the fence on this; I think including the Release code name
> >and version number kind of makes the other fields redundant, and makes
> >the title a bit of a mouthful.  Its pretty neat and succinct right now,
> >which feel is slightly more authoritative.
>
> Again, it's more about the convention that I see in other official OS
> images. Most of them have their version in the main title. (Notable
> exceptions are the Amazon Linux AMI images.) I think that at least main
> titles in https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/seller-profile?id=890be55d-32d8-4bc8-9042-2b4fd83064d5
> should have some difference and the major version number is very short and
> natural way to do this.

Strangely enough I remember Ubuntu by version and Debian by codename, but I
suppose having full version string (ex. 8.0.0) in the tile could be beneficial.

> >I'd rather
> >keep the selection simpler than having people accidentally launch AMIs
> >on platforms they probably don't want.

+1

snip

> >3) As for 2; IMHO I think its too long, but if a bunch of folks agree,
> >we could do this. Comments from the crowd?
>
> In the official Debian communication (and in unofficial too :-) ), codename
> is usually integral part of the title, e.g. https://www.debian.org/ or
> https://www.debian.org/releases/ . Looking at these pages, "GNU/Linux" could
> be replaced with "8 Jessie" and this is my recommendation :-) If codename is
> included, my preference is to enclose Jessie in typographic double quotes.
> If it's in braces, it would not look good with "(PVM)"/"(HVM)" next to it.

GNU/Linux shouldn't be replaced as this is the part of the full name for Debian
and it indicates that it's Linux based not BSD or Hurd, so I won't agree that
it should be ditched. But as I think having:
Debian GNU/Linux 8 (Jessie)
should be acceptable and isn't too long IMHO

> >5) Yeah, that was me taking the CD release number. We've been suffixing
> >".aws.1"when we've done an AMI re-release to include serious security
> >updates in the base AMI ahead of point releases. This is because in some
> >architectures, instances may be locked down with no way to get to any
> >external repo, but we want to include those security updates in the base
> >image. Generally this is stuff that is remotely exploitable. We could
> >drop the extra ".0"... next point release?
>
> I like the "8.1.aws.0" version scheme. It shows that it is based on specific
> point release (8.1) and that there are some customizations (aws.0). "aws"
> version could start from zero and numbers greater that zero to signify
> emergency releases.

This looks to be reasonable but if we want to save some bytes we can go even
further with: 8.1+aws0
more like deb versioning :-)

> Thank you for the interesting statistics :-) I was pleasantly surprised to
> see Debian being in more popular position than Ubuntu Server in OS images
> list https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/b/2649367011/

Isn't this mainly due to same name/title for all the Debian AMIs? I'm basing my
question on my experience with AWS and customers I'm dealing with and lot's of
them are using Ubu and not Debian.
--

|_|_|0|         "Heghlu'Meh QaQ jajVam"          |

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 0x58C338B3
3DF1 A4DF C732 4688 38BC F121 6869 30DD  58C3 38B3