Re: Nicer looking Debian headline on AWS marketplace

On 19 May 2015 17:42:10 CEST, James Bromberger <james@rcpt.to> wrote:
>On 19/05/2015 4:16 AM, Ognyan Kulev wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Currently, Debian HVM image is shown in AWS marketplace like the
>> following and I would like to suggest minor improvements:
>>
>> Debian GNU/Linux - (HVM)
>> ***** (1) | Version 8.0.0 | Sold by Debian
>> Linux/Unix, Debian 8.0.0 | 64-bit Amazon Machine Image (AMI)
>> 1. It's more conventional to have just "(HVM)" appended instead of "-
>> (HVM)"
>> 2. Other AMIs include the major version (in our case "8") in the
>title
>> 3. I think it would be nice to include the codename (Jessie) in the
>> title too.
(...)
>> So my proposal is:
>>
>> Debian GNU/Linux 8 “Jessie” (HVM)
>> (70) | Version 8.0 | Sold by Debian

(...)
> While HVM may seem new now, I would think we can drop
>it
>as it does become default - perhaps for the next point release? Input
>greatly wanted from all?

As a sysadmin and recent (mostly) lurker on this list I'm in favour of dropping the hvm/pvm flavour from the default images. But perhaps on next point release as there has been some back-and-forth on amis and pvm/hvms in the past: for those that know enough to wonder, being explicit is good. Might be enough to mention in description though?

>2) Hm, I'm on the fence on this; I think including the Release code
>name
>and version number kind of makes the other fields redundant, and makes
>the title a bit of a mouthful.  Its pretty neat and succinct right now,
>which feel is slightly more authoritative.

(...)

Just an opinion on "codenames". While I use Debian regularly, and generally remember oldstable/stable/testing/and-sid-is-unstable - as a *casual* maintainer of some Ubuntu systems, their reliance on codenames used to drive me absolutely up the wall. What is latest release? Is it released? Is it lts? WHERE IS THE LINK TO THE ISO? It is so nice to have a monotonically increasing integer.

And, I imagine those that maintain mostly Ubuntu/Suse/Windows feel the same.

I'm not sure we need a "stable" in the title (just put a "testing" in any applicable semi-official snapshots etc). My main point is that "would a not-Debian admin pick the right one on first try" should be the test for naming.

Best regards,

Eirik Schwenke