Re: Nicer looking Debian headline on AWS marketplace

На 19.05.2015 в 18:42, James Bromberger написа:
1) The "- (HVM)" was the recommendation from the Marketplace team; I'm
actually more in favour of marking the older PVM image as "- (PVM)",
with a view that PVM will be gone in some time in the future (64 bit HVM
is the future). While HVM may seem new now, I would think we can drop it
as it does become default - perhaps for the next point release? Input
greatly wanted from all?

PVM is already legacy so I think the same: HVM images should not be marked while PVM images should be marked as "(PVM)". In all my suggestions I see how other AMIs are presented in OS images list <https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/b/2649367011/> and that's why I suggested adding "(HVM)" but what is really important is having some difference between HVM and PVM titles.

2) Hm, I'm on the fence on this; I think including the Release code name
and version number kind of makes the other fields redundant, and makes
the title a bit of a mouthful.  Its pretty neat and succinct right now,
which feel is slightly more authoritative.

Again, it's more about the convention that I see in other official OS images. Most of them have their version in the main title. (Notable exceptions are the Amazon Linux AMI images.) I think that at least main titles in https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/seller-profile?id=890be55d-32d8-4bc8-9042-2b4fd83064d5 should have some difference and the major version number is very short and natural way to do this.

I'd rather
keep the selection simpler than having people accidentally launch AMIs
on platforms they probably don't want.

If Debian 7 images will be removed from marketplace listing and only version 8 are left, it's true that absence or presence of "(PVM)" is enough as differentiation between the two images in the listing.

3) As for 2; IMHO I think its too long, but if a bunch of folks agree,
we could do this. Comments from the crowd?

In the official Debian communication (and in unofficial too :-) ), codename is usually integral part of the title, e.g. https://www.debian.org/ or https://www.debian.org/releases/ . Looking at these pages, "GNU/Linux" could be replaced with "8 Jessie" and this is my recommendation :-) If codename is included, my preference is to enclose Jessie in typographic double quotes. If it's in braces, it would not look good with "(PVM)"/"(HVM)" next to it.

5) Yeah, that was me taking the CD release number. We've been suffixing
".aws.1"when we've done an AMI re-release to include serious security
updates in the base AMI ahead of point releases. This is because in some
architectures, instances may be locked down with no way to get to any
external repo, but we want to include those security updates in the base
image. Generally this is stuff that is remotely exploitable. We could
drop the extra ".0"... next point release?

I like the "8.1.aws.0" version scheme. It shows that it is based on specific point release (8.1) and that there are some customizations (aws.0). "aws" version could start from zero and numbers greater that zero to signify emergency releases.

Just FYI, there are over 13,000 subscribers to the Marketplace AMIs
(each with an unknown number of instances launched over time). There are
no stats available to us for the "community shared" AMIs (listed on the
wiki and in my signed emails to list). Also, the default AMI apt
sources.list at https://cloudfront.debian.net/ is getting around 4M
requests and sending 375 GB per day, 37% of which is in the US, 18% in
Ireland, 15% UK.

Thank you for the interesting statistics :-) I was pleasantly surprised to see Debian being in more popular position than Ubuntu Server in OS images list https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/b/2649367011/

All the best,
Ognyan