Re: Nicer looking Debian headline on AWS marketplace

On 19/05/2015 4:16 AM, Ognyan Kulev wrote:
Hi,
Currently, Debian HVM image is shown in AWS marketplace like the following and I would like to suggest minor improvements:

Debian GNU/Linux - (HVM)
***** (1) | Version 8.0.0 | Sold by Debian
Linux/Unix, Debian 8.0.0 | 64-bit Amazon Machine Image (AMI)
1. It's more conventional to have just "(HVM)" appended instead of "- (HVM)"
2. Other AMIs include the major version (in our case "8") in the title
3. I think it would be nice to include the codename (Jessie) in the title too.
4. Other AMI sometimes include "64-bit" but since 64-bit AMIs are the norm and 32-bit are the exceptions nowadays, it's better not to include it in the title.
5. Version "8.0.0" is used only in Debian cd-images, nowhere else. It's much more natural to have the official release number "8.0".

So my proposal is:

Debian GNU/Linux 8 “Jessie” (HVM)
(70) | Version 8.0 | Sold by Debian

Hi Ognyan,

Great suggestions, thank you! For others the main listing is:
https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/seller-profile?id=890be55d-32d8-4bc8-9042-2b4fd83064d5

And the example of the HVM 64 bit AMI description detail is:
https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B00WUNJIEE/ref=sp_mpg_product_title?ie=UTF8&sr=0-4

1) The "- (HVM)" was the recommendation from the Marketplace team; I'm actually more in favour of marking the older PVM image as "- (PVM)", with a view that PVM will be gone in some time in the future (64 bit HVM is the future). While HVM may seem new now, I would think we can drop it as it does become default - perhaps for the next point release? Input greatly wanted from all?

2) Hm, I'm on the fence on this; I think including the Release code name and version number kind of makes the other fields redundant, and makes the title a bit of a mouthful.  Its pretty neat and succinct right now, which feel is slightly more authoritative.

NB: the 7.8.aws.1 (a security re-release of 7.8 point release) is still listed for PVM 32 bit, but I was goign to squash that shortly. It will still be available, just not listed. Again, 64bit HVM is the future, and from daily stats, the vast majority of users are using that. I'd rather keep the selection simpler than having people accidentally launch AMIs on platforms they probably don't want.

3) As for 2; IMHO I think its too long, but if a bunch of folks agree, we could do this. Comments from the crowd?

4) Yep, and I dont see "64 bit" in the title. We've not pushed out 32 bit PVM AMIs for Jessie; they're kind of pointless as most instances have >4GB RAM, and anyone wanting to run native 32 bit binaries can do so via Multiarch. We generated PVM 64 bit only to support those with long term Reserved Instances or other commitments to PVM 64 bit; I would think by the time we do Stretch I would think we wont have PVM 64 bit around either....

5) Yeah, that was me taking the CD release number. We've been suffixing ".aws.1"when we've done an AMI re-release to include serious security updates in the base AMI ahead of point releases. This is because in some architectures, instances may be locked down with no way to get to any external repo, but we want to include those security updates in the base image. Generally this is stuff that is remotely exploitable. We could drop the extra ".0"... next point release?

Just FYI, there are over 13,000 subscribers to the Marketplace AMIs (each with an unknown number of instances launched over time). There are no stats available to us for the "community shared" AMIs (listed on the wiki and in my signed emails to list). Also, the default AMI apt sources.list at https://cloudfront.debian.net/ is getting around 4M requests and sending 375 GB per day, 37% of which is in the US, 18% in Ireland, 15% UK.

  James

--
Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to