Re: building (official) debian images for atlas (formerly vagrantcloud)

Anders Ingemann <anders@ingemann.de> writes:

> On 24 April 2015 at 17:28, Olivier Berger <
> olivier.berger@telecom-sudparis.eu> wrote:
>
>> Am I right in saying that packer brings in the main benefit of not
>> setting a fixed size for the disks, which is problematic with
>> bootstrap-vz (as Jan experienced) ?
>>

> Could you elaborate on that? I'd be very interested in how to do that for
> bootstrap-vz if it is possible.
>
> Anders

Hmmm... damn it. I can't remember the exact details, sorry.

I experienced a partition/disk limit of some kind when I tried to create
a base box for FusionForge with bootstrap-vz, but I hit some limit.

I then changed for a packer approach, which was more flexible... but I
forgot the exact details unfortunately (twins born in between and lack
of sleep doesn't help me these days ;).

I made a note for myself at
https://fusionforge.org/plugins/mediawiki/wiki/fusionforge/index.php/Virtual_machine_development_environment#Modify_the_VM
but can't remember now : shame.

Obviously, if you set a maximum size for a base box disk geometry, and
you later need more volume for the Vagrant image built over this base
box, you're gonna get stuck sooner or later... I don't remember the
details, but the volume geometry or volume format somehow seemed more
flexible with packer.

Maybe some different layout for storage, or storage file type choices ? :-/

If someone can confirm or investigate ?

Sorry again for the lack of details :-(

Best regards,
--