Re: GPU instance with debian HVM AMI?

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 12:06:40AM +0000, Bromberger, James wrote:
> The Debian AMIs are not yet blessed for G2. They would at this stage
> require the nvidia drivers at this stage, and as this would conflict
> with the Debian Free Software Gidelines, I have not (yet) produced a
> Debian + NVidia AMI. I am hoping that Nouveau will be blessed for
> use on this instance type in a few weeks, and at that stage I'll
> apply for the AMI to be approved for this instance type.

Thanks for looking into this.

I do not believe that the nvidia drivers are the issue.  There aren't
any nvidia drivers on the ubuntu HVM AMI, as far as I can tell.  I had
to download them from nvidia's site and compile/install them.  I even
had to download the kernel sources to compile the drm module which the
latest nvidia driver (331.49) requires and which isn't included in the
AMI, a la <https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/547588/>

Here's what I see on a freshly booted Ubuntu 12.04 HVM AMI:
ubuntu@ip-10-138-47-161:~$ lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
isofs                  40257  0
psmouse                97519  0
fb_sys_fops            12703  0
sysimgblt              12806  0
sysfillrect            12901  0
serio_raw              13211  0
syscopyarea            12633  0
acpiphp                24231  0
floppy                 70207  0
ubuntu@ip-10-138-47-161:~$ find /lib/modules/3.2.0-54-virtual/kernel/drivers/video/ -name *.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-54-virtual/kernel/drivers/video/sysimgblt.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-54-virtual/kernel/drivers/video/cirrusfb.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-54-virtual/kernel/drivers/video/xen-fbfront.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-54-virtual/kernel/drivers/video/vga16fb.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-54-virtual/kernel/drivers/video/vgastate.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-54-virtual/kernel/drivers/video/vesafb.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-54-virtual/kernel/drivers/video/sysfillrect.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-54-virtual/kernel/drivers/video/fb_sys_fops.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-54-virtual/kernel/drivers/video/syscopyarea.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-54-virtual/kernel/drivers/video/output.ko
ubuntu@ip-10-138-47-161:~$ find /lib/modules/3.2.0-54-virtual/kernel/drivers/ -name '*drm*' -o -name '*nvidia*'
ubuntu@ip-10-138-47-161:~$

On a side note, I just tried launching the debian 7.4 HVM AMI on
several different instance types for comparison, but I haven't had
much success:

1. I was not able to get a system log to retrieve the host ssh public
key, even 20 minutes or more after launch.  I tried this in both
us-east-1 and eu-west-1.

2. I blindly accepted the host fingerprint but was denied access when
logging in as user admin with the configured keypair.

> There are other issues that I have seen with the Debian AMI on the
> g1 instance - I am trying to find some time for me to look deeper
> into this (probably next week).

If there are "other issues," I infer from the lack of any other
explanation that they must be relevant.  Can you elaborate, please?