GPU instance with debian HVM AMI?

I would like to launch GPU instances with the debian HVM AMI:
    debian-wheezy-amd64-hvm-2014-02-08-ebs - ami-9f675df6

It doesn't allow me to do this.  Apparently only certain AMIs are supported.
<http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/using_cluster_computing.html>

I posted an inquiry about this on the EC2 forums.
<https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.jspa?threadID=146515>.

I received the following response:

> I have investigated the issue in regards to the AMI - ami-9f675df6 and
> unfortunately it would appear the instance type of g2.2xlarge is not supported
> by this particular image. For the AMI itself it may be lacking drivers and/or
> internal support for the g2.2xlarge instance type.
>
> I have however been able to successfully launch the same AMI using a variety of
> other instance types such as C3, M3 etc.
>
> This is not something we can simply 'enable', it is a restriction of the
> particular AMI itself. I would recommend either selecting a difference Instance
> type during the provisioning or selecting a different AMI that provides the
> features you are looking for.

Can anyone shed any light on this?  Could there be some missing configuration
which is required for PCI passthrough?  The Xen wiki indicates otherwise:

> HVM guests require no special configuration for the guest kernel, as all
> accesses are emulated and virtualized by the IOMMU hardware.
<http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_PCI_Passthrough#Guest_configuration>

Thanks,
Aryeh Leib Taurog