Re: Please let's not talk about "clouds"

Le Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 05:51:57AM +0800, Thomas Goirand a écrit :
> On Mon Apr 29 2013 05:01:26 AM CST, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> >           Elastic Utility Computing Architecture for Linking Your Programs
> >           To Useful Systems - is an open-source software infrastructure for
> >           implementing "cloud computing" on clusters.
> >
> > And why say "open source"?   It should say "free/libre".
>
> Actually, it shall say none of it. Absolutely all
> 30 000 packages in Debian are free software, it adds
> no information to say that in a long description,
> and this should generally be avoided in Debian.
>
> >           Eucalyptus works with multiple flavors
> >           of Linux including Ubuntu, OpenSuse, Debian, and CentOS.
> >
> > How about changing "Linux" to "GNU/Linux"?
> > Ubuntu, OpenSuse, Debian, and CentOS are all GNU/Linux distros.
> > Is it even possible to run Eucalyptus plus Linux (the kernel)
> > without the rest of the GNU/Linux system?
>
> I'd say, scrap that part too (why should we care
> about other distros in our long descs.?).

Good point.

Here is the new description that I plan for the next update of the euca2ools
package, where I blended the upstream descriptions at the following pages.

 - http://www.eucalyptus.com/download/euca2ools
 - https://github.com/eucalyptus/euca2ools/blob/master/README

 Command-line tools for interacting with Amazon Web Services (AWS) and other
 AWS-compatible services, such as Eucalyptus and OpenStack, that export a
 REST/Query-based API compatible with Amazon EC2, IAM, and S3 services.  The
 tools can be used with both Amazon's services and with installations of the
 Eucalyptus open-source cloud-computing infrastructure.  The tools were inspired
 by command-line tools distributed by Amazon (api-tools and ami-tools) and
 largely accept the same options and environment variables.  However, these
 tools were implemented from scratch in Python, relying on the Boto AWS library
 and M2Crypto toolkit.

I know that there is the word "cloud" in, but I would like to keep it as long as
Upstream use it.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy