Re: Please let's not talk about "clouds"

On 04/27/2013 11:31 AM, Clint Byrum wrote:
> For those of us heavily involved in the industry (I work for HP Cloud
> Services, Thomas works for a company closely involved with OpenStack),
> we only are ever talking about IaaS. So "cloud" is shorthand, and like
> any shorthand, taken out of context it is horribly confusing. I think
> it is worth making sure that any entry level documentation of all
> kinds are free from shorthand. Likewise, packages which include IaaS
> implementations such as Eucalyptus and OpenStack should clearly state
> that (which, on cursory examination, they all do).
This is a call for review of our package descriptions! And indeed, after
a short re-read, it could be made better. I will try to address this
problem, together with the debian-i18n-english@ guys.

Currently, for Nova, we have:

 OpenStack is a reliable cloud infrastructure. Its mission is to produce
 the ubiquitous cloud computing platform that will meet the needs of public
 and private cloud providers regardless of size, by being simple to
implement
 and massively scalable.
 .
 OpenStack Compute, codenamed Nova, is a cloud computing fabric controller
 designed to be modular and easy to extend and adapt. In addition to its
 "native" OpenStack API, it also supports the Amazon EC2 API, and it
supports
 many different database backends (including SQLite, MySQL, and PostgreSQL),
 hypervisors (KVM, Xen), and user directory systems (LDAP, SQL).

And for Eucalyptus (euca2ools), we have:

 Elastic Utility Computing Architecture for Linking Your Programs
 To Useful Systems - is an open-source software infrastructure for
 implementing "cloud computing" on clusters.  Eucalyptus Systems is the
 pioneer in open source cloud computing technology that delivers hybrid
 cloud deployments for enterprise data centers. Leveraging Linux and web
 service technologies that commonly exist in today's IT infrastructure,
 Eucalyptus enables customers to quickly and easily create elastic clouds
 in minutes. This "no lock-in" approach provides users with ultimate
 flexibility when delivering their SLAs.
 .
 Eucalyptus is more than just virtualization. Along with building virtual
 machines, the technology supports the network and storage infrastructure
 within the cloud environment. Eucalyptus works with multiple flavors
 of Linux including Ubuntu, OpenSuse, Debian, and CentOS. Eucalyptus
 currently supports Xen and KVM hypervisors.  These tools are meant to
 be CLI compatible with the ec2-api-tools.

Thoughts? To me, it looks clear enough. What about you Richard?

Thomas