Re: Debian images for Google Compute Engine

Le Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 10:02:43AM +0200, Anders Ingemann a écrit :

> it's really great to see Debian getting so much traction in the cloud. I
> will look at the merge on sunday as my calendar is booked until then.
> I agree that using the debian installer would be a lot better than using a
> bootstrapping script. My only concern is the startup time which, if I
> understand this correctly, is increased by a large amount because every new
> instance requires the debian-installer to run first, correct?

Hi Anders,

the scenario you wrote above would also be interesting, but it is not what
I propose (and on the AWS, I am not able to use debian-installer to overwrite
itself on the same volume).

The idea is rather to have machine images of the stable debian-installer (which are
easy to maintain because it is rarely updated), use them to install Debian
on a volume attached at boot time, and register the volume as a new image.

It almost works.  My main problem is that on the AWS it is usual for the images
to be insalled on an unpartitionned volume, and debian-installer does not seem
to be able to do this.  But I think that it is not a fundamental limitation.

I blogged about my latest progresses here:

    http://charles.plessy.org/Debian/debiâneries/installeur-debian-dans-un-nuage-2/

As you can see, creating images of the debian-installer is very straightforward,
and then creating Debian images using debian-installer is only a matter of
writing a preseed file.

Have a nice Sunday,

--
Charles Plessy