Re: Debian images for Google Compute Engine

Le Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 07:45:39PM -0400, Jimmy Kaplowitz a écrit :

> One intentional difference from the Amazon EC2 images is that, instead of
> sshing in via a default “admin” account, we install a cron job in /etc/cron.d
> to manage accounts in line with the Google Compute Engine documentation. See
> here for how ssh works:
> https://developers.google.com/compute/docs/hello_world#ssh

Greetings, Jimmmy and Google Compute team !

Nice to see Debian being served by more and more providers.

Do you think you can summarise how to access the GCE images in a page on the Debian
wiki, for instance http://wiki.debian.org/Cloud/GoogleComputeEngineImage ?  You
can see http://wiki.debian.org/Cloud/AmazonEC2Image and http://wiki.debian.org/Cloud/WindowsAzureImage
for examples.

I have a question about SSH.  I browsed a bit further the documentation in
https://developers.google.com/compute/docs/instances#standardssh, where I could
read: "username: [Required The username to log in that instance. Typically,
this is the username of the local user running gcutil."  Will this be the
standard on Debian images as well ?  Do you think that it is a practice to be
recommended for our other images ?  We chose "admin" as default account,
following Ubuntu's practice to provide a default account, and adding the
constraint that it must not be branded, but if there is an even better choice,
we should consider it.

Another question, for the mid-long term, do you think that it would be possible
to use the Debian Installer directly ?

Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan