Re: Please let's not talk about "clouds"

Le Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 11:55:36AM -0400, Richard Stallman a écrit :

> So "cloud-init" is intended to get data from "IaaS thingumajig
> orchestration" software.  At least that is one concrete fact.
>
> Perhaps it should be called "vm-orchestration-init", to indicate that
> it inits the virtual machine in conjunction with orchestration
> software.  That way it would be clear that, if you are using a virtual
> machine without orchestration software, you should not run this
> program.

Hello Richard,

cloud-init is not developed by Debian, and therefore we do not control its
name.  The homepage of cloud-init is the following.

    https://launchpad.net/cloud-init

As a co-maintainer of the cloud-init package in Debian, I want to stick
to the upstream name.

The short description of the Debian package is:

    configuration and customization of cloud instances

This is how cloud-init is described upstream, and I am also reluctant
to change it.  Note also that it should be shorter than 73 characters.

The long description of the Debian package is:

    Framework and tool written in Python to handle early initialization of a cloud
    instance. Cloud-init can for example set a default locale and a host name,
    generate SSH private host keys, add SSH keys to a user's authorized_keys so
    they can log in, and set up ephemeral mount points.
    .
    Cloud-init's behavior can be configured via user-data, given by the user at
    instance launch time.

Feel free to suggest improvements on the long description.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan