Re: Debian images for Google Compute Engine

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 10:17 PM, Brian Gupta <brian.gupta@brandorr.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 10:09 PM, Brian Gupta <brian.gupta@brandorr.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 9:01 PM, Jimmy Kaplowitz <jimmy@debian.org> wrote:
>>> Hi Charles,

>>> Sure. Right now what we have published is not images themselves, but tools for
>>> anyone to make their own. While we have of course built images internally and
>>> done testing, we would love for Debian to be the provider of official Debian
>>> images in Google Compute Engine. Publishing those images can be done by anyone
>>> we add to the debian-cloud project and does not need to be done by Googlers.
>>
>> Thanks Jimmy!! Great work!.. One clarification for those trying to
>> follow along. Unless I've missed something, there is one step that
>> might be unclear: How to select one of the prebuilt kernel images that
>> are available to use when building an image.. I've added instructions
>> inline.
>>

>>> A quick summary of usage for the very near term:
>>>
>>> 1) If you want to help and don't already have Google Compute Engine space in
>>> which to work, email David and me saying how you want to help and giving the
>>> name of your Google account (Google Apps and consumer accounts are both fine).
>>> We'll add people to whichever projects are appropriate for how they're helping,
>>> within the constraints in my previous email.
>>>
>>> 2) Use our github fork on any Linux machine to create the images. I'll submit a
>>> pull request tomorrow so that Anders can merge it into his tree. Example
>>> command line (root is needed for the loopback mounting process):
>>>
>>> # Either squeeze or wheezy should work.
>>> sudo ./build-debian-cloud gce --codename squeeze --volume-size 10
>>>
>>> 3) The image will end up in the same directory. From there, follow the steps to
>>> upload and use a custom image in Google Compute Engine, beginning with step 4
>>> here: https://developers.google.com/compute/docs/images#installinganimage
>>
>> The above instructions tell you to run:
>>
>> gcutil --project=<project-id> addimage <image-name> <image-uri>
>> --preferred_kernel=/projects/google/global/kernels/<kernel-name>
>>
>> without specifying how to find <kernel-name>
>>
>> You can use gce-v20130325 (Which is appears to be Google's latest
>> build), however, if you want a list of available kernels you can run:
>>
>> gceutil listkernels --project=google (Rather than your own project)
>
> Sorry that should read:
>
> gcutil listkernels --project=google
>
>> If someone hasn't beaten me to it, I'll try to get some of this into the wiki..

I think I captured most of the important bits here:
http://wiki.debian.org/Cloud/GoogleComputeEngineImage (I probably
won't have time to touch it for a bit, so if something needs fixing,
feel free. Also I am not an expert in MoinMoin, so if someone wants to
look over the formatting, and make improvements feel free, as I am
done editing for now.)