Re: Debian AMI Images *not only* for AWS (Was: Debian Images on Amazon Web Services)

Le Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 11:08:31PM +0800, Thomas Goirand a écrit :

> It would definitively be a plus to have these images prepared
> using only free software available directly in Debian. I wont
> have the time to work on it right away now, but possibly later.

Hi all,

I think that the best way to do so is to use Debian Installer directly to build
images.  First, it is very flexible, customisable, scriptable, translated, etc.
Second, it answers the problem of image proliferation by giving people an easy
way to make their own image if they are not satisfied by the default ones.  Third,
it is packaged, distributed in our mirrors, etc.  (Fourth, this may attract
developers, and D-I needs developers).

  http://charles.plessy.org/Debian/debi%c3%a2neries/nuage/
  http://charles.plessy.org/Debian/debi%C3%A2neries/installeur-debian-dans-un-nuage/

For the Amazon cloud, using D-I looks straightforward, and the last point on
which I block is to ensure that partitions are properly named on the installed
system, as it looks like the partition table changes between an attached volume
and the booted volume: for instance if the image is prepared as an attached
volume mounted as /dev/xvdc1, it looks like it will be booted as a
partition-less disk (/dev/xvda instead of /dev/xvda1).  I tried to play a bit
with labels and UUIDs with no luck for the moment.

If people are interestesd, I can setup AMIs of Debian Installer on the Amazon
cloud using the account that James created.  (Squeeze's installer
is already available in Tokyo: http://wiki.debian.org/Cloud/AmazonEC2Image#Debian_installer)

PS: I need help with cloud-init !  http://lists.debian.org/debian-cloud/2012/11/msg00003.html

Charles