Re: Debian AMI Images *not only* for AWS (Was: Debian Images on Amazon Web Services)

On 11/08/2012 06:27 AM, Anders Ingemann wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> I don't know about porting the AMIs to Openstack. However I do know
> that the bootstrapping script is fairly quickly adjusted, all the AWS
> commands are located in tasks for themselves. This means, that one can
> easily replace them with OpenStack analogues.
>
> The only slightly tricky part is the option parsing, which is located
> in the main script.
>
> You will want to look at the following tasks (assuming you want to
> give it a try):
>
>   * 05-host-dependencies (downloads the AWS API tools)
>   * 06-host-information (gets the location of the host instance to set
>     the apt mirror)
>   * 10-create-volume (creates the volume for the image)
>   * 11-attach-volume
>   * 73-detach-volume
>   * 80-ebs-snapshot (creates a snapshot for the AMI)
>   * 82-delete-volume
>   * 95-register-AMI
>
> In all it is about 130 non-comment lines of code, so it's pretty fast
> to go through.
>

> The url
> is https://github.com/andsens/ec2debian-build-ami/tree/master/tasks
>

> Anders

Hi Anders,

I already had a look to what you did before you explained it.
As I also wrote something that bootstrap a useable Debian
system using debootstrap, and that I know how much it has
to be organized (since there's a lot more things than one
may think of to begin with), I have to admit that I found your
source code organization quite attractive at the first look! :)
Especially compared to my messy code in dtc-xen.

Openstack nova exposes an EC2 API layer as well. It should
be possible to use the euca2ools also with Openstack nova.
Though it would need some testing: it's possible that not all
EC2 calls would work, I don't know how much it is compatible.
Anyway, it would also be a good thing to write this with native
Openstack calls as well.

It would definitively be a plus to have these images prepared
using only free software available directly in Debian. I wont
have the time to work on it right away now, but possibly later.

Cheers,

Thomas