Re: Debian Images on Amazon Web Services (resent)

On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 02:40:38PM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Nov 08, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
> > These AMI images should be released through the official Debian mirrors,
> > or at least from a page on Alioth, not only from Amazon itself.
> I understand that AMIs are on S3, are these buckets publically
> accessible?
> As long as they are accessible to non-Amazon customers too, I see no
> reason to distribute the images on our infrastructure too.

Ah, good point! Not sure about accessibility to the public, though. IIRC
they expect someone to pay for the bandwidth there? I guess others more
knowledgeable than me on these matters could comment on that...

Still, I think we should provide some trust path for people interested
in retrieving the images. E.g. publishing image checksums signed by our
archive key. And on that front too, we'll need to discuss with the
archive admins what's the most appropriate work-flow.

> > We don't need to advertize for this or that brand of public cloud providers.
> > If we do, then it is unfair for the competition and smaller companies, which
> > might also use these images. It would be even more unfair to ship it only
> > at these larger providers.
> Agreed. My employer has been providing for years to their cloud
> customers Debian images built by a developer, and we never made a big
> deal of it. :-)

Right, but exactly because noone never made a big deal of it, the images
in questions are under-used. Advertising them as produced by $developer
makes them trustworthy enough for those who know the developer and by
gossiping propagation of the information that they are available;
advertising them as Debian images is quite a different matter.

Cheers.
Debian Project Leader . . . . . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .