Re: Debian Images on Amazon Web Services (resent)

On 11/08/2012 05:56 PM, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> My general take on this is that, if we have users interested in running
> Debian on public clouds, we should support them.

These AMI images should be released through the official Debian mirrors,
or at least from a page on Alioth, not only from Amazon itself.

I would feel very sad if, after all the hours I (and the rest of the
Openstack
PKG team) spent working on packaging Openstack, so that we can use
cloud computing with free software, the only place to find official Debian
image, was from a closed source platform.

Do not misunderstand me. It's very good to have some official AMIs available
at AWS. But if we are to communicate about something, it shouldn't be about
"Debian now ships images with Amazon and Microsoft", but something along:

"Debian now provides official Cloud computing images in AMI and XXX format.
These can be used in multiple public cloud service providers, and some
famous
but as well smaller providers already made them available to their
customers."

We don't need to advertize for this or that brand of public cloud providers.
If we do, then it is unfair for the competition and smaller companies, which
might also use these images. It would be even more unfair to ship it only
at these larger providers.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)