Re: Cinnamon 4

¡Hola Norbert!

El 2018-12-12 a las 11:05 +0900, Norbert Preining escribió:
I have updated (nearly) all packages around cinnamon for version 4, and
pushed my changes to my fork of your repos on salsa, into the
experimental branch (after doing git merge --ff master).

I have built all the packages, and I am currently running the desktop
based on these packages.

Some notes I have collected during updating/building that probably need
people with better insight into the stuff are below.

I have just accepted your request to join the team, please go ahead and push your changes, I'm not sure if I'll have the time to work on cinnamon, but fell free to upload the changes to experimental and request feedback from our users.

The pre-built sources and packages are available here:
	deb https://www.preining.info/debian/ unstable main
	deb-src https://www.preining.info/debian/ unstable main
(signed with my Debian key).

If this is of any help for you, please let me know what I can do more.

muffin:
-------
tests are failing, temporarily disabled, reason??

The tests in muffin are obsolete leftovers of metacity/mutter, are not being used upstream, and most of them are badly "cinnamonified".

additional sub libraries added, lots of changes ...

I expect most libraries to be private to muffin, as long as they don't ship a -dev package please consider simply using a strong version dependency.

cjs
---
symbols changed, some got lost, don't we have to do some API push/name change?

cjs is a stale version of gjs, that's only being used by cinnamon, updating the breaks fields in cjs can be used to avoid an api bump.

cinnamon-menus
--------------
libcinnamon-menu-3-0 package name? adjust to 4-0 ?

Not unless the soname was changed.

screensaver
-----------
plugins have disappeared in 4.0

Are the features provided by the plugins still present?

BUILD ORDER
===========
xapp
cinnamon-desktop
cjs
muffin
cinnamon-menus
cinnamon
cinnamon-session
cinnamon-settings-daemon
cinnamon-control-center
cinnamon-screensaver
cinnamon-desktop-environment
cinnamon-translations
nemo

I use arriero to build cinnamon, arriero auto generates the build order from the build-depends.

TODO
====
cinnamon-bluetooth
	never built?

afaicr, upstream prefers blueberry over cinnamon-bluetooth. Personally, I prefer blueman.

nemo-fileroller
nemo-python
	missing .tar.gz!

The source code of the nemo-* packages are included in the nemo-extensions tree (https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo-extensions), we use uscan to obtain the orig.tar.gz from the packages.linuxmint.com (for example: http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/backport/n/nemo-fileroller/)

Probably the watch file needs to be updated.

Happy hacking,
--
"Seek simplicity, and distrust it." -- Whitehead's Rule
Saludos /\/\ /\ >< `/