Re: Cinnamon 4

Ciao cari amici!

> I have just accepted your request to join the team, please go ahead and push
> your changes, I'm not sure if I'll have the time to work on cinnamon, but
> fell free to upload the changes to experimental and request feedback from

Thanks for accepting me.

I have pushed all the changes to the experimental branches plus the
upstream and pristine-tar branches due to new upstreams.

Having done this with bash loops I accidentally also pushed the change
to cinnamon master where I sent the merge request the other day,
concerning disappearing indicators. Should I revert or are you fine with
it?

> > muffin:
>
> The tests in muffin are obsolete leftovers of metacity/mutter, are not being
> used upstream, and most of them are badly "cinnamonified".

Ok, then disabling is probably the correct step. I did build in a clean
chroot and there most failed.

> > additional sub libraries added, lots of changes ...
>
> I expect most libraries to be private to muffin, as long as they don't ship
> a -dev package please consider simply using a strong version dependency.

The libraries are a bit strange, because installed as follows:
  ./usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/muffin/libmuffin-clutter-0.so
  ./usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/muffin/libmuffin-cogl-0.so
  ./usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/muffin/libmuffin-cogl-pango-0.so
  ./usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/muffin/libmuffin-cogl-path-0.so
  ./usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmuffin-clutter-0.so -> muffin/libmuffin-clutter-0.so
  ./usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmuffin-cogl-0.so -> muffin/libmuffin-cogl-0.so
  ./usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmuffin-cogl-pango-0.so -> muffin/libmuffin-cogl-pango-0.so
  ./usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmuffin-cogl-path-0.so -> muffin/libmuffin-cogl-path-0.so

The -dev file contains lots of headers, some additions .pc and .gir
files.

> cjs is a stale version of gjs, that's only being used by cinnamon, updating
> the breaks fields in cjs can be used to avoid an api bump.

Ok ... I will do this later!

> > libcinnamon-menu-3-0 package name? adjust to 4-0 ?
>
> Not unless the soname was changed.

No, so name was not bumped, same
	./usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcinnamon-menu-3.so.0.0.1

> > screensaver
> > -----------
> > plugins have disappeared in 4.0
>
> Are the features provided by the plugins still present?

I don't think so. Upstream git just mentioned removal and cleanup of
code.

> I use arriero to build cinnamon, arriero auto generates the build order from
> the build-depends.

Cool!!! Never heard of that, thanks a lot! Will try it out immediately.

On Wed, 12 Dec 2018, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
> Checked now and 4.0 sources are already present, for example in
> http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/backport/n/nemo-python/
> Seem that nemo-fileroller debian/watch need change like the nemo-python
> one
> (https://salsa.debian.org/preining/nemo-python/commit/6a93d958067647675693eff522a785887b293c99),
> uscan still show 3.8 as latest because 4.0 switched from .tar.gz to .tar.xz

Great, thanks, I will work on them later today.

> I'll probably take a look to upstream gits history and I'll report
> possible improvements or missed things but I don't know when and how

That would be great!!!

> Some things spotted from a very fast look:
> based on
> https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/commit/f891384cdfd544fe65ea778823ed26cb46f240e4#diff-6e9552c9bd8e61c8f277c21220160234
> libclutter-1.0-dev should be removed from cinnamon build-dep and looking

Good point. Indeed, clutter/cogl etc is now build from within.
Will work on that, too.

> this change in upstream debian/control:
> - libmuffin-dev (>= 3.8),
> + libmuffin0 (>= 3.8),
> is high probable that muffin upstream need some debian/ improvements
> and/or addition out of debian/ because thing like this:
> https://github.com/linuxmint/muffin/commit/31390ac7b8a6e15984fe30438dfe3f3f984f5d28#diff-6e9552c9bd8e61c8f277c21220160234
> seems not good and a workaround for other changes missed after

This is indeed rubbish.

> https://github.com/linuxmint/muffin/commits/master/debian after 3.8.2
> commit is a good start (is possible that other commits without debian/
> changes need to be looked about)

Thanks, I will look into it.

All the best

Norbert

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer