Re: Cinnamon 4

Il 12/12/2018 13:35, Norbert Preining ha scritto:
Hi Fabio,

thanks for your email and your feedback.

Hi, thanks for your help, doing a good packaging require more, is good
to check any debian/ changes in upstream gits and also any other changes
from previous version because upstream do very essential debian/ changes
Yes, I have updated patches, removed those included upstream, adjusted
patches etc, not blind stuff. I do packaging also since about 20 years ;-)
Sorry, I not saw, so you are more experienced than me on debian packaging

muffin:
-------
tests are failing, temporarily disabled, reason??
additional sub libraries added, lots of changes ...
from a fast look seems there was important changes but I check in detail
Muffin was the most complicated part, with lots of changes. Here someone
who has done the previous packaging should check my changes.

cinnamon-menus
--------------
libcinnamon-menu-3-0 package name? adjust to 4-0 ?
looking git history there are no changes at all, itcan usually be seen
by changes to the symbols when necessary, and FWIK shoud be not needed
change it to reflect source version
I agree, since there were not changes in the symbols.

screensaver
-----------
plugins have disappeared in 4.0
this need check, I not look git history now for tell you something about
THe plugins were removed in upstream git during 4.0 preparation.
I *did* check this.

cinnamon is better to be the latest to build because may require other
I bumped all the build-deps to 4.0, so the order is ok since all
build-deps are for 4.0, meaning that no old packages was used.

nemo-fileroller
nemo-python
	missing .tar.gz!
there is unique nemo-extensions source upstream, nemo-python and
nemo-fileroller require manual source adding each version from mint
Ah, ok, thanks. I searched for a README.source (which normally documents
these changes, but there wasn't one).
Checked now and 4.0 sources are already present, for example in http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/backport/n/nemo-python/
Seem that nemo-fileroller debian/watch need change like the nemo-python one (https://salsa.debian.org/preining/nemo-python/commit/6a93d958067647675693eff522a785887b293c99), uscan still show 3.8 as latest because 4.0 switched from .tar.gz to .tar.xz

but probably not until cinnamon 4.0 will exit from rc (release
Ok, but looking at how man releases there have been since 4.0.0 some of
them seem to be quite stable already.

Anyway, if one of you can look into the changes, that would be fine.
I'll probably take a look to upstream gits history and I'll report possible improvements or missed things but I don't know when and how much time I can dedicate to new cinnamon packages.

Some things spotted from a very fast look:
based on https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/commit/f891384cdfd544fe65ea778823ed26cb46f240e4#diff-6e9552c9bd8e61c8f277c21220160234
libclutter-1.0-dev should be removed from cinnamon build-dep and looking this change in upstream debian/control:
- libmuffin-dev (>= 3.8),
+ libmuffin0 (>= 3.8),
is high probable that muffin upstream need some debian/ improvements and/or addition out of debian/ because thing like this:
https://github.com/linuxmint/muffin/commit/31390ac7b8a6e15984fe30438dfe3f3f984f5d28#diff-6e9552c9bd8e61c8f277c21220160234
seems not good and a workaround for other changes missed after "Integrate Clutter and Cogl into Muffin"
muffin debian/control need remove of libclutter-1.0-dev and libcogl-dev (upstream already did it)
I not have time to check all things that should be improved in muffin upstream and how and if there already other things missed/to be improved in debian/ but look https://github.com/linuxmint/muffin/commits/master/debian after 3.8.2 commit is a good start (is possible that other commits without debian/ changes need to be looked about)

Thanks

Norbert

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer