Re: [DOC] Poorman's Chinese Type1 font for CJK-latex

On Sat, May 26, 2001, you wrote:
> >   现在的问题是,做出来的 pdf 比使用 Type1(via ttf2pt1)的 ps 档还要大!
> >   还要再研究、研究...,让他不内嵌?
>
> Really? how big? Following are some numbers I got (all in unit of 1000 byte):
>
>                 (1)    (2)    (3)    (4)    (5)
> GB.tex          42     48     88     60     51
> larger file     2026   2353   2332   1232   757
>
> (1) ps  <=  pk+dvips
> (2) pdf <=  pk+pdflatex
> (3) ps  <= pfb+dvips
> (4) pdf <= pfb+pdflatex
> (5) pdf <= ttf+pdflatex
>
> As you can see, when size is small, pk font (1 and 2) holds a slight margin
> than direct ttf (5), and pfb font (3,4) gives biggest size. As file size
> increase, the ones using pk font increase dramatically, the ones using pfb
> font now becomes second best, while direct ttf gives a significant smaller
> file. So in any case, direct ttf almost always gives the smallest size and
> the best quality (at least one of the best).

  Sorry, I didn't try big files. I will test it again.

> Yes, there's no support for "slanting". I guess that can be added, not sure.
> I do have a question concerning slant font, which has been in my head for a
> while. The question is: does traditional (authentic) chinese typography ever
> use slant or italic font? My feeling is that they're west only style. Any one
> knows? BTW, does any one know a good book on chinese typography?

  How about this(but only concerning LaTeX):

  ``cwTeX 排版系统'' 吴聪敏.吴聪慧 著  翰芦图书出版有限公司(台北)
  ISBN 957-97454-0-4

  can download from http://ceiba.cc.ntu.edu.tw/tmwu
  file name is cxbook.pdf

*****
  Oh, here is another email. :-)

> From: rigel <rigel863@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [DOC] Poorman's Chinese Type1 font for CJK-latex
> To: debian-chinese-list <debian-chinese-big5@lists.debian.org>
> Cc: "Edward G.J. Lee" <edt1023@ms17.hinet.net>
> Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 23:47:31 -0700
>
> Hi Edward,
> Saw your email right after I post my numbers. I guess the size difference
> might have something to do with your doc structrue. You seem have each
> hanzi from each every subfont. A real document rarely like that. So direct
> ttf might performe better under real world condition.

  Yes, I want to sure every subfont can use normaly. :-)

  I think that's why have the difference. Thanks. :)

--
Warm Regards,
Edward G.J. Lee(李果正)

 --*--  The best kind of learning is learning by doing.  --*--