Re: Adding sha256 support into jigdo tools (jigdo and jigit)

[ Arg, sorry to keep you waiting for responses. Really busy
  week... :-/ ]

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 10:10:04PM +0100, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
>Hi,
>
>i wrote:
>> > libjte_set_checksum_algorithm() became necessary
>
>Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> ACK. I'd not thought that through fully myself here, but yes.
>
>Here you see why it is good to have a mutually curious user-developer
>relation. :))

*grin*

>> I'm open to changing things like option names here, obviously -
>> it's your code exposing them at the top level.
>
>But you are their only user i know of, as well as i am the only user of
>libjte.
>
>"-jigdo-checksum-algorithm" or "-checksum_algorithm_jigdo" ?
>
>"checksum_algorithm" or "checksum_jigdo" ?
>
>The latter already have similarily named neighbors in xorriso:
>  -checksum_algorithm_iso  -checksum_algorithm_template
>  checksum_iso             checksum_template

ACK. It's possibly quite confusing. :-/

Let's go with "-jigdo-checksum-algorithm" to keep the separation?

>Hm. Did you forget to mention "-jigdo-checksum-algorithm" in
>xorriso/emulators.c ?
>How can this pass your tests ? Doesn't
>  $ xorrisofs -jigdo-checksum-algorithm sha256 >/dev/null
>throw
>  xorriso : FAILURE : -as genisofs: Unrecognized option '-jigdo-checksum-algorithm'
>
>(Further the new xorrisofs options have to be mentioned in function
> Xorriso_genisofs_count_args() in:
>    static char arg1_options[][41]= {
> so that some program parts know how many arguments these options consume.)

Ah, probably. I started hacking code here, but ended up using "-jigdo
checksum_algorithm" in my debian-cd testing branch so didn't test it
fully (as you can tell!). When I was quickly hacking in the changes
here, I didn't spend a lot of time looking for all the places that
might need updating.

>> I based on 1.4.7 as that was the latest
>> release I had handy for the merged tree.
>
>As soon as your tests are done and the names are decided, please send a
>new updated diff and a jigit release tarball.

ACK, will do.

>When i have the jigit release tarball, i will port the diff to
>GNU xorriso-1.5.3. When libjte2*.deb is in testing, i will backport the
>GNU xorriso changes to upstream libisoburn git and make a patch for the
>pending libisoburn-1.5.2 on salsa.
>Probably i will have to adapt the build system of libisofs, too.
>
>Don't invest time in polishing xorriso code or documentation. Just make sure
>that it works properly with all your use cases.
>I would later appreciate a repeated test with libisoburn1_1.5.2-1_amd64.deb
>when it's in unstable, and proof-reading of the docs.

Nod!

I've just released jigdo 0.8.0 yesterday, and uploaded to unstable.

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
 English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on
 occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them
 unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."  -- James D. Nicoll