Re: magnet links and pushing them to meta-search engines.

Reply in-line :-

On 12/02/2018, Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
> Hey Shirish!

Hi Steve,

> On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 02:38:36AM +0530, shirish शिरीष wrote:
>>
>>>From the last few days/week I have been poking around torrent
>>meta-search engines, While looking through, I noticed that the
>>sometimes (not all the times) there have been occasions where the
>>hashes have told to be a virus.
>>
>>Most recent example is
>>https://torrentz2.eu/1193adc8d620b0e35ddcd7932f2d07f2992140c0
>>
>>As can be seen down below in the link, it has been labeled as a virus
>>which may or may not be true.
>
> We've had a few "virus" reports about our images over the years, but
> every one I've investigated has clearly been a false positive in the
> virus checker involved. Many of them are proprietary, which of course
> makes it difficult to debug the problem. :-/

aha, ok didn't know that.

>>I dunno whom to approach, the page in question on Debian side
>>
>>See  https://torrentz2.eu/1193adc8d620b0e35ddcd7932f2d07f2992140c0 as an
>> e.g.
>
> Do your links match the torrents that we've published? There's always
> a possibility that people might be modifying them to add malware after
> we're published, of course...

I <embarrased> realized just after sending that email that the images
it was sharing
were old jessie testing ones and weird (CD1+CD2) which kinda makes it
hard to do all that back-checking.

>From https://wiki.debian.org/DebianJessie  it seems couple of months
before Jessie installer beta 1 arrived.

Actually what I had wanted to ask/post the query is that we somehow
miss the bus of getting the releases to meta-search engines such as
torrentz.eu

See for e.g. https://torrentz2.eu/search?f=%27debian-9.3.0-amd64%27

and see the results that have cropped up. I was hoping that it would
show the CD releases as well as the DVD releases and net install.  As
can be seen while it shows the DVD image and the netinstall images,
but for unknown reasons officially CD images seems to have gone the
way of dodo

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/bt-cd/

Maybe because CD-1 has become too big that it can't anymore fit lxde
or something for base-install + desktop environment. I did scour the
archives for last 2-3 months but wasn't able to get anything about why
they were dropped although it probably is due to the space issue I
have mentioned above.

Are there any hopes of the CD images being revived in the future or
that's sort of gone forever ?

FWIW I do still queries from students and the only thing I can give
them is the dvd-iso image link as net-install image can be problematic
as I found out when testing.

Look forward to comments.

--
          Regards,