Re: debian cd image download website

Maximilian Haeussler,+33612827616

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 9:45 AM, GONG Jie <gongjie.jie@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 8:23 PM, Maximilian Haeussler
<maximilianh@gmail.com> wrote:
> the debian website is horribly complicated for beginners who just want to
> give debian a try.
>
> One example: http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/
>
> (...) There needs to be some minimal advice on the
> website (directly, not in the FAQ or some obscure manual) which image to
> select for people that do not know all processor architecture names by
> heart, i.e. most of us who are not experts in the history of the Intel
> family and the whole chip industry. It is simply not very straightforward to
> select AMD if you just bought Intel.
Please read the installation guide before you are doing installation.
[1] http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual

No. It is the other way round: One has to SELECT your architecture to read an installation guide. Users who do not know their architecture do not know which installation guide they should read. They will definitely look into AMD if they bought Intel. This architecture problem is bugging me since the introduction of IA64.

Read the Debian ports page [2], if you are use other then i386.  This
page do have a note in the IA-64 section.  IA-64 is not EM64T.
[2] http://www.debian.org/ports/
a) There is no link to the ports page from the downloads page. So users cannot easily find it.
b) Thanks, but I can read wikipedia myself. It did not have a question. It was a suggestion for future improvement of the debian website.

Here are some discussions on forums and debian-user of people that ran into exactly this problem. Please note that all these discussions could have been avoided by adding one single sentence explaining that most users with a modern processor should choose AMD64.

http://osdir.com/ml/debian-user-debian/2009-05/msg01471.html
www.nabble.com/Which-Debian-for-Intel-Core2Duo-td19611014.html
link
See also this bug:  http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=421338

So the debian installer developers are aware of the problem. I admit that a double-architecture torito CD is one (technical) solution. But the problem could be solved so easily with just 1 or 2 more sentences on the website!

>this question.  You may send to debian-amd64@lists.debian.org or
>debian-user@lists.debian.org.
No, debian-user is for questions on debian. I did not have a question.

It might be possible that debian-cd might not be the right mailing list.
But if the mailing address in the footer of a page is not responsible for this webpage:
Can anyone tell me how to reach the people that manage this part of the debian website?

Thanks
Max

--
Regards,