debian cd image download website

Hallo,

the debian website is horribly complicated for beginners who just want to give debian a try.

One example: http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

I studied computer science, obtained a PhD, started using linux in 1995 and just downloaded again the wrong netinst image (IA64), burnt it and could't boot my workstation from it. There needs to be some minimal advice on the website (directly, not in the FAQ or some obscure manual) which image to select for people that do not know all processor architecture names by heart, i.e. most of us who are not experts in the history of the Intel family and the whole chip industry. It is simply not very straightforward to select AMD if you just bought Intel.

cheers
Max