Re: What CDs and DVDs should we produce for lenny?

Am Dienstag, 18. März 2008 00:29:22 schrieb Richard Atterer:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 09:17:03PM +0100, Uwe Bugla wrote:
> [Uh - huge quote snipped. If you want people to read what you wrote, don't
> precede it with screens of other text...]
>
> > b. jigdo uses only a small amount of specialized dedicated servers for
> > download, not every server in this world available at the moment.
>
> Not quite! jigdo uses _any_standard_ HTTP/FTP server, no special support is
> required on the server side. That's by design: It should be capable of
> using any normal Debian package mirror for the download of ISO images.
>
> > I do know that jigdo is a tool for distributed download of Debian package
> > files and local production of CD images and DVD images.
> > My question is:
> > To what does jigdo refer?
> > a. To published ISO images or
> > b. to one big Debian repository where it picks out single package files
> > from?
>
> ?? Not quite sure what you mean. Basically, it uses .jigdo and
> .template files as a "recipe" to build an ISO image from downloaded regular
> .deb packages.
>
> Cheers,
>
>   Richard

Dear Richard,
about the "recipes" I know. That was not my question.
My question was about the essence and quality the "recipes" .template
and .jigdo are pointing to: There must be a resource where they take their
Debian package files from.

My questions once more again:

a. Is it one big resource of thousands of single Debian package files .jigdo
and .template are pointing to				OR

b. Is it an ISO image .jigdo and .template are receiving their data from
during download?

c. If the answer is (a), can we, according to Steve's question, stop hosting
all ISO images to reduce traffic?

If not, where is the technical necessity to keep them for Internet download as
long as there are far more better download procedures like jigdo for
instance?

Cheers and big regards

Uwe