Re: What CDs and DVDs should we produce for lenny?

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 08:23:13 +0100
Uwe Bugla <uwe.bugla@gmx.de> wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 18. März 2008 00:29:22 schrieb Richard Atterer:
> > On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 09:17:03PM +0100, Uwe Bugla wrote:
> > [Uh - huge quote snipped. If you want people to read what you wrote, don't
> > precede it with screens of other text...]
>
> Dear Richard,
>
> My questions once more again:
>
> a. Is it one big resource of thousands of single Debian package files .jigdo
> and .template are pointing to				OR

Yes.

> b. Is it an ISO image .jigdo and .template are receiving their data from
> during download?

That was in discussion some time ago to reduce disk seek on servers.

> c. If the answer is (a), can we, according to Steve's question, stop hosting
> all ISO images to reduce traffic?
>
> If not, where is the technical necessity to keep them for Internet download as
> long as there are far more better download procedures like jigdo for
> instance?

For download via jigdo, you need a jigdo-client. Not everybody has one,
especially users of other OSs, and for some reasons it may be a barrier
for using debian, if you need to download a jigdo-client first.

Dirk.