Re: Aaargh - Jigdo MISSING FILES for Etch Weekly Build DVD #3

On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 07:33:46PM +0100, Richard Atterer wrote:
>On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 10:05:09AM -0800, Doug wrote:
>> I'm a debian noob, so when I restart jigdo, what part of that URL should I
>> give it to search?  I'm guessing this part:
>>    http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2007/01/30/debian/
>
>That /might/ work, but the easiest way IMHO is to download the file
>yourself and to put it in the temporary directory created by jigdo. Jigdo
>will find it there by itself.
>
>> I'm not sure why jigdo fails a lot with missing files.  It says it's trying
>> alternate sources, but eventually it just can't find them. [...]
>
>Actually, the mechanism of an alternate source tends to work quite well,
>but in the case of the images you're trying to download, the problem is
>that the images change every week. Once a new week's "edition" of the
>images is put on the server, the old alternate source (a backup of the
>packages) is also removed, so things tend to break.
>This could be fixed by keeping the old backup directory a little longer,
>e.g. 2 weeks in total.

Hmmm. We're deliberately keeping snapshot trees around for much longer
these days; any given set of jigdos should work for at least a month
after they're created *unless* there was a problem during the weekly
run and the snapshot wasn't created properly.

>BTW, *please* do not enter snapshot.debian.net as your primary Debian
>mirror from the beginning! Use your nearest mirror first and only switch
>there to get the remaining files. That server does not have the resources
>for the download of lots of DVD images...

Yup, seconded! :-)

Doug, if you're missing any more files in future that jigdo can't find
even on the jigdo snapshot server, please mail a list of the missing
files to debian-cd ASAP and I'll do my best to fix them. The cron
scripts *should* be getting this right, but occasionally things aren't
working 100%.

"Every time you use Tcl, God kills a kitten." -- Malcolm Ray