Re: Bits from the debian-cd team; more CD/DVDs being built regularly

On Tue, Dec 26, 2006 at 06:21:45PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
>On Sun, Dec 24, 2006 at 05:19:03AM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> m68k (first 6 sectors)
>> ====
>> bytes 000-12288 - hfs map (no obvious way to co-exist)
>
>Are we actually doing some special magic with our m68k images currently?
>If so, for what reason? Is it to boot the machine, or just so that it
>looks good in MacOS?
>
>If the former, we should probably stop that; there's no way an m68k mac
>is going to boot Linux from CD-ROM without non-free bits until emile has
>a free reimplementation of a CDROM driver for macs (yes, that would be
>required).
>
>Obviously, if we're only trying to make it look good under MacOS then
>there's no reason to stop doing that :)

To be perfectly honest, I'm not 100% sure exactly what the boot-m68k
script does for mac. <pause>

Looking, I don't see anything useful in terms of booting. However,
using the HFS hybrid format will mean that (hopefully) whatever docs
etc. are shipped on the CD will be readable easily on the mac
too. Otherwise, AFAICS the m68k is set up to be bootable on amiga and
bvme6000.

If there's anything that should be changed here, please dive in... :-)

You raise the blade, you make the change... You re-arrange me 'til I'm sane...