Suggestions from debian-user

Hello debian-www and debian-cd

Watching debian-user, and especially the newcomer postings (being a
newcomer myself), I (and others) have observed that many of them are
puzzled about the huge number of Debian installation CD's. They seem
not to be aware of the arguably greatest feature of Debian: its
packaging system. Being used to other OSes or distros, they don't
realize that they can install a full Debian with only the netinstall CD
and upgrade to the next release in place.

I can imagine this might have scared off many potential new users. Some
info like: "For a typical Desktop install you need CD1 and 2" would be
the least to provide. This is why I also included debian-cd in this
post. It is hard (if not impossible) to tell (by reading only the
website) which CDs one would need to install, for example, the Desktop
task, or any other task for that matter.

I have discussed this issue on debian-user and others have come with
good suggestions. This is the thread for reference:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2006/03/thrd4.html#01511

Thanks for reading
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)