Re: confused by recent debian-cd changes

On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 08:36:25PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
>Steve McIntyre wrote:
>>
>> I can well believe what you're seeing. The way I suggest to fix this:
>>
>>  * remove the auto-generated files from cvs altogether:
>>    * tasks/base-sarge
>>    * tasks/debian-installer
>>    * tasks/debian-installer+kernel
>>
>>  * Add a dependency on debootstrap to generate the base-$suite file as
>>    needed
>>
>>  * A full debian-cd run should generate the
>>    tasks/debian-installer{,+kernel} as needed too. If people don't
>>    have a full mirror attached for the arches they're targetting then
>>    they're going to struggle to do anything anyway. It's not clear why
>>    these were ever committed into cvs, and I agree it was a mistake.
>
>That would indeed be better than the hack I put in for
>tasks/debian-installer+kernel. Doing a similar hack for
>tasks/debian-installer was unmaintainable anyway.

OK.

>> Does this sound reasonable? The next question - do we want to do this
>> _now_, or will it wait until after the sarge release so we don't risk
>> destabilising too much? I guess I'm asking how much change we're
>> likely to see in d-i between now and the release. Your call, really.
>
>I don't really anticipate needing to update tasks/debian-installer
>before release. The debian-installer+kernel lists kernel packages to
>install and it will be changing over the next couple of weeks.

Fine. I'm a little busy right now getting the woodyr4 images
built. Once I'm done with those I'll move on to these changes for
you. I may be in touch to ask for help with them... :-(

"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user'
 as meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver." -- Daniel Pead