Some observations about Debian installation

I'm just gone through a new Debian installation process and think I know
a little bit what's wrong.

1. The current stable release (3.0r1) is just outdated.
2. There are way too many show stoppers in the testing release (3.1)
installation

1. takes care that (almost) nobody uses Debian/stable for new systems.
2. takes care that (almost) everybody takes out his old Woody CD and
does a dist-upgrade or similar. Therefore none of the installation
problems gets mentioned and solved, at least not within a wish able time
frame. And if someone still is determined and goes through the process
and mentioning any problems he gets either no answer (see
"http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2003/debian-boot-200311/msg01073.ht
ml") or just some not very helpful (see
"http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200311/msg01248.
html").

The problems I've mention are show stoppers for any user not as much
accustomed to Debian as I. And they have to be fixed in one or the other
way. Else Debian still keeps its image as a hacker distribution.
Regardless how good or bad Debian is and regardless how many RC bugs
exists, if a user encounters a show stopper during installation this
user is lost. Gurus might find a solution but casual users simply switch
to another distribution. Therefore the installation process has to be
foolproof to a certain degree.

--
See "http://wxguide.sourceforge.net/"; for ideas how to design your app.