Re: [job #15092] debian 3.0r1

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Greg Madden wrote:

> On Wednesday 08 January 2003 02:54 pm, Marcel Kunath wrote:
> > Since Debian has blown up in size so much the chance is unfortunately nil.
> > We looked at creating a Debian 3.0r1 Update CD (with some automation
> > inside) but even this task is problematic because this business is less
> > familiar with the Debian architecture.
> >
> > We were looking for a real simple efficient and if possible automated way
> > to have Debian 3.0r1 installed using a Debian 3.0r0 CD set with 3.0r1
> > Update CD. We could not come up with one. In comparison in Gentoo's case:
> >
> > mv /mnt/cdrom/* /usr/portage/distfiles
> > emerge -u world
> >
> > would do the job.
> >
> > Our Debian customers rely on us because they mostly have download limits or
> > use dial-up to gain access to Debian. It is simply uneconomical to download
> > 7 isos for 11 architectures every time Debian does a new release.
>
> Have you considered using 'jigdo' ?   I updated my 7 cd's in a few hours using
> jigdo. Jigdo basically downloads the difference between the old & new cd
> images then builds a new iso. The DVD is the way to go though :)

That is not the issue. We can easily get the software changes. We need
an efficient way of getting it to our customers.

We already made an investment in pressing 3.0r0 on CD. We sell superior
pressed CDs to Debian customers and not CDRs. The manual labor of
burning CDs is just too large and it is more costly. Each press cycle
costs money and repressing 7 CDs is uneconomical (in time and financing).
It would be far more efficient to keep selling pressed copies of 3.0r0 with
a single update CDR than it would be to issue newly pressed CDs for each
release.

Anyhow if there is no solution to this problem we probably end up
distributing pressed 3.0r0 until 3.0r4 and then issue a new pressed set.

Marcel