Re: About jigdo, pre12-14, etc

On Wed, 2002-07-03 at 17:59, Richard Atterer wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 06:36:52PM +0200, Santiago Garcia Mantinan wrote:
> > Well, I suppose there is not much we can do about this, but I think
> > that it is important to support mirrors of the .template files,
> > otherwise, all the downloads of .template files, which are the big
> > ones compared to the .jigdo ones, will go against the original site,
> > unless the mirrors change the .jigdo files to point to themselves.
>
> Hm, what do the others think?

It does seem that the lack of relative URLs makes the mirroring of
templates painful or pointless (depending on whether people are expected
to edit the jigdo files).

Also, editing jigdo files means they are no longer md5sum-able, which
might be important, although obviously the important md5sum is of the
resulting image.

> If the final woody CDs use relative URLs, I'm going to have to remove
> all references to jigdo-easy2win from the web pages, because I don't
> want to see 1000 "it doesn't work" messages on this list when woody is
> released.

How about an update to jigdo that (assuming there is only one [Image]
section) simply ignores the Template= setting by default, and chops off
the jigdo and tacks on template to generate it as a first try?

Alternatively, presumably jigdo-easy2win can deal with the case where
someone downloads the .jigdo & .template files and then points at the
local copy, so one could write the procedure as:

  If you have version X.Y.Z or later of jigdo-lite, invoke it with a
  URL as usual, otherwise download the jigdo and template files for the
  images you need, and then run jigdo-lite or jigdo-easy2win against the
  copies you now have on your local disk.

Would either of those work?

Cheers, Phil.
--