Re: Patch for small cd images and producing them officially?

On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 10:34:14AM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> All people who install debian (unless they use ar and tar by hand)
> need debootstrap.  Debootstrap installs base (and some extras, if you
> want that).  This means that for all normal users, they'll need the
> «normal netinst image».  Only people who put stuff on bbc will want
> the smallest variant.

This sounds like the netinst CD only contains additional packages
which the business-card CD is able to download from the net. But if
they can just be downloaded, why put them on the CD?

Or will the business-card CD be significantly more difficult to use
because debootstrap doesn't fit on it, or something?

BTW, with boot-floppies there is the problem that certain packages
have to be present on the CD for you to be able to install using PCI
ISDN cards. Is this still the case with the new installer?

> | Additionally, if there are several variants, we must also *support*
> | them all, e.g. test them properly and provide end-user support for
> | them.
>
> Do we do that for all five variants today?

We don't (not really...), but then they're not official.

> We could make the support job easier for ourselves if we announced
> the normal netinst cds with base on heavily, while the full isos and
> bbcs were tucked a bit (not much, a bit) away.

Yes, that's a possibility.

Cheers,

  Richard

--