Re: jigdo downloading the packages multitple times?

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 02:54:43PM +0200, Marco Herrn wrote:
> I just downloaded the woody-images with jigdo. But it take really much
> time for every image to get fetched.

Well, it is a bit slower than just getting one big iso file because
wget has to log into the FTP server for every package... IIRC the
latest version of wget supports HTTP/1.1 persistent connections, so if
you have a HTTP Debian server available and upgrade wget, it'll become
a bit faster.

The jigdo GUI application, due out sometime this century, supports
HTTP/1.1 pipelining, which means that for HTTP servers, the speed will
be very close to downloading a big iso.

> Then I watched the tmp directory and saw that a lot of packages
> there were stored and deleted without the iso getting bigger. So it
> seems that all these packages are fetched and deleted without any
> use. Is that correct oder did I miss something?

You missed something: jigdo first generates a big iso.tmp file which
has the size of the final image, but it is *empty* (filled with
zeroes). The idea is that if you haven't got enough disk space for the
final image, it should fail as early as possible. Afterwards, the
downloaded files are copied to the temporary image before being
deleted from the tmp directory.

Cheers,

  Richard

--