Re: upgrading potato to woody with 3.0pre6 CDs

I had exactly the same problem.  When I ran "apt-get --simulate install
dpkg apt debconf" it showed problem packages in square brackets after
packages it was "installing".  Using this information, and stumbling around
for awhile, I finally found that running "apt-get remove libdb2" began a
rather extensive upgrade process that fixed things so I could continue with
the first step of "apt-get dpkg apt debconf" as before.  By the way, the
extensive upgrade process actually reinstalled libdb2 after it removed it.
Weird, huh?

Another problem I had was that the "dist-upgrade" process removed man-db
from my system.  When it was all over I had no access to man pages, and I
had to reinstall man-db myself.

Mike K.