Re: isolinux falures

Santiago Garcia Mantinan wrote:
>>>Anyway, let's go for the Debug dump of isolinux that I got on this machine,
>>>the scsi card is a symbios 53c875J based Diamond, and this  is the dump:
>>
>>Where is the SCSI BIOS for this card?
>
> If you mean if it has a bios on the scsi board it does, if you mean where
> can one download a bios to have a look at it... the url I get is this one:
> ftp://ftp.diamondmm.com/pub/multimedia/fireport/FP40906.exe wich is a winzip
> selfextracting file, or I have put the contents for you to download on
> http://ftp.manty.net/download/diamond/ the new rom is fireport.rom and the
> old one is 4050000d.rom both behave in the same way when booting from
> isolinux cds. If I didn't understand the question please ask again.
>

>>With "El Torito Multiboot" I presume you are talking about floppy
>>emulation mode (all of this is El Torito.)
>

> Yes, it is floppy emulation, it is based on this option of mkisofs:
>
>        -eltorito-alt-boot
>               Start with a new set of "El  Torito"  boot  parame-
>               ters.   This allows to have more than one El Torito
>               boot on a CD.  A  maximum  of  63  El  Torito  boot
>               entries may be put on a single CD.
>
> This allows for different boots to be available, thus the multiboot name.
>
> In this scsi bios only the first of the boot entries is seen, but it boots
> it perfectly.

The point was that the boot menu function and the no emulation vs. hard
disk emulation vs. floppy emulation are orthogonal.

It appears that really old BIOSes work like crap for anything but floppy
emulation; some contemporary BIOSes like crap for anything but no
emulation.  This seems to follow what the current Micro$oft OSes use,
i.e. again -- the BIOS vendors test "does it boot M$, ok then."

	-hpa