Re: isolinux falures

On Mon, 6 May 2002, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

>Santiago Garcia Mantinan wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> After testing isolinux in a small number of machines I have came across
>> several cases of falure, I have already reported falures on Fujitsu Pentium
>> machines, now this one is relating scsi cards.
>>
>> After seing all this it makes me think if by using isolinux we are going for
>> better or for worst, I mean, we used to have a cd that was able to boot on
>> almost all kind of machines, now we have one that boots on most of the ide
>> based machines and on some of the scsi ones, otherwise you have to try
>> cds from 2 to 5 to see if any works for you. Is it just me or does anybody
>> else think we are going for worst? What about eltorito multiboot? it didn't
>> work as multiboot on all machines, but at least it booted.
>>

>El Torito BIOSes are absolute crap.  There is no question about it.
>Unfortunately there is right now *NO* configuration which works on all
>machines.  If you want a configuration that works on all machines,
>you're talking boot floppies.  It really is that bad.

Hello to all you folks who are pushing for us to have all new machines.
I think that going with no-emulation mode is a worst case scenario.

Go over to Mandrake please and hang with those folks for a while.
Then come back to a sane world populated with debian-heads.
The choice is clear: we will lose a lot of folks with old machines
who will not be able to use Debian any more. Old hands will be upset.
The CD will not boot; they will not know to try the rest of the set;
they will only have the first CD; the CD will be given away;
the old machines will be tossed.  We will lose the third world.
We will lose the old office networks of ready-for-linux machines.
They will use windows 95.

yes BIOS makers do not follow the standards.

They do follow the floppy booting standard disk type 00.
A floppy will boot the bad BIOS.
Therefore floppy emulation works on most machines.

if you want to exclude most machines, simply switch to
no emulation mode.
XP does it.  It must be a bad thing.
It does push the sales of new machines.
'no emulation' mode demands a new machine.

if you want to boot on most CD booting machines
just like RedHat 7.3
then use floppy emulation.

I vote for floppy emulation to boot from CD.

Cheers, Bill Bennet

"Where the only monopoly we support has a Boardwalk and a Baltic Avenue."