Re: woody CDs...

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 09:00:50PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> What's going to be made available where for release? Just jigdo
> stuff?

ISTR Phil wanted to do all isos for i386 and 1..2 CDs' isos for the
other arches, the rest with jigdo. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

> How are mirrors going to be expected to mirror stuff -- directly or
> with jigdo? How're CD vendors expected to mirror stuff?

I've written a "jigdo-mirror" script (in the latest jigdo source
tarball) which mirror admins can use to "inflate" the jigdos to real
images if they have the disk space. It /could/ do with a bit of
testing though - so far AFAIK only Mattias has tried it.

In addition to that, for all images stored on cdimage, the regular
rsync mirroring is available.

BTW, it is possible to write a CGI which serves the complete images
while *not* storing them locally - it generates them on the fly from
the jigdo files and a local Debian mirror. That way, no additional
disk space is needed. The only thing that's missing is someone who
wants to write this CGI. ;-)

> Are the jigdo images for i386 likely to be broken now since some of
> the packages that were in the archive on the 8th of April will have
> been removed from the mirrors by now?

They are broken, I think. For the woody release, a snapshot will be
taken of the archive at the time of the release. Later, that snapshot
can be used by jigdo as a fallback when any file changes.

> How long's it take to build them all?

I've never done it myself, but I think it's something like 10..15
hours including everything (on cdimage, which is usually rather
loaded).

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 10:35:05PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> ...stopping when you run out of space. There's probably not a huge
> amount of value in offering more than the jigdo stuff for CD's
> beyond number 1

Well, I hope jigdo will be up to it. It certainly works nicely as long
as no file in the archive changes or disappears...

[OTOH, with the current 2.2r6 release, for some bizarre reason the
gentoo source deb has changed its md5sum since the images were
generated, so source-2 can no longer be regenerated. If we rely on
jigdo exclusively, such things might happen every now and then.]

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _