Woody non-US CDs

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 01:40:41PM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-04-12 at 11:09, Richard Atterer wrote:
> > But again: I thought that beginning with woody there will no
> > longer be two variants of the first CD?
>
> That would presumably be on the assumptions that all crypto packages
> will be in main before release (which doesn't seem very likely at
> present) and that those were the only things that were in non-US
> (which is not the case either)

No, I think what has so far been the binary-1-NONUS CD is going to
become the binary-1 CD - no special US version. "non-US" ==
"cryptographic code" according to policy 2.1.5:

    Some programs with cryptographic program code need to be stored on
    the non-US server because of United States export restrictions.
    Such programs must be distributed in the appropriate non-US
    section, either non-US/main, non-US/contrib or non-US/non-free.

> We'll still need non-US for those things that are patented in the
> USA, and presumably also for a growing band of programs that are
> deemed to infringe on the DMCA and other bizarre American laws.

Hm, I'm confused - I thought that either these programs cannot be
packaged at all, or they end up in (non-US/)non-free.

AJ, could you please clarify: Do we need two versions of the first CD?

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _