Re: Announcing jigdo-easy 2.1 - please test

On Fri, 2002-04-12 at 11:09, Richard Atterer wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 12:10:34AM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> > Oh, OK --- I thought it was quite a good idea to merge the 1 and 1_NONUS
> > jigdo files.  Was I wrong?
>
> Not at all in my opinion, yes in Anne's opinion (at a guess).
> You'll just have to decide for yourself... :)
>
> But again: I thought that beginning with woody there will no longer be
> two variants of the first CD?

That would presumably be on the assumptions that all crypto packages
will be in main before release (which doesn't seem very likely at
present) and that those were the only things that were in non-US (which
is not the case either)

We'll still need non-US for those things that are patented in the USA,
and presumably also for a growing band of programs that are deemed to
infringe on the DMCA and other bizarre American laws.

Of course, if the UKPO and EPO have their way, the non-US name will have
to become "dwindling-free-world" and the server will need to be moved
somewhere more liberal (like Cuba, say ;-) but it seems likely that
we're going to have to continue to tiptoe round these stupid national
laws for some time to come.

> > I was looking at the format, thinking "Hm, I wonder if that'll work"
> > and planning on giving it a try tommorow.
>
> The feature is actually intended as a way to offer a menu for *all*
> images of a particular architecture. Later on, adding a DVD image
> would hardly lead to a further increase in size.

Oh, nice --- I like that idea.

> I've been meaning to add support to jigdo-file for the merging of
> several jigdo files into one, but I guess I won't be getting around to
> that very soon. I once wrote a script to merge two jigdo files
> (attached) - unfortunately, it is unacceptably slow, not sure if it is
> any use to you.
>
> BTW, it'd be cool if you (or someone else) could add support for
> gzipped jigdo files to debian-cd.

OK, it was something I was planning to do, although I thought I'd do it
in my publish_cds script.

Cheers, Phil.
--
Say no to software patents!  http://petition.eurolinux.org/