Re: official 2.2_rev3 CDs available

Alexander Skwar <ASkwar@DigitalProjects.com> writes:

> So sprach Philip Hands am Sat, Apr 28, 2001 at 01:56:13AM +0100:
> > Please don't waste your time/bandwidth/money/etc. and ours by
> > downloading loads of CD images only to find you'd have been better off
> > doing something else.
>
> I don't get it - why is it better first downloading about 1.8gb with the
> pseudo image kit, and then filling in the gaps with rsync, compared to right
> away downloading the 1.8gb the 3 cd images take with rsync?  Where's the
> advantage?

The advantages are:

  1) that you are almost certainly "closer" to your nearest ftp
  archive mirror than your nearest up to date CD image mirror.

  2) the ftp image mirrors have had a week to get up to date, and most
  of the initial download panic is over for them, so they are
  relatively more lightly loaded.

  3) there are a lot more archive mirrors, so their collective
  bandwidth is _much_ higher than the collective bandwidth of the CD
  image mirrors, so by using pseudo-image you are directing the bulk
  of your usage towards the most plentiful resource.

Also, I live in hope that the little extra moment of contemplation
that setting up the pseudo-image-kit affords the user might allow them
to realise that (in many cases) they would be better served by a local
squid cache, and simply using apt-get to download only the packages
they actually use, but I suppose that's my insanely optimistic streak
showing through :-)

Cheers, Phil.
--
Say no to software patents!   http://petition.eurolinux.org/